The Archdiocese of Philadelphia has announced that Reverend Monsignor Joseph L. Logrip has been placed on administrative leave and his priestly faculties have been restricted while law enforcement investigates a new allegation of sexual abuse dating back to the early 1980s.
Logrip was previously placed on administrative leave and had his priestly faculties restricted by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia following the March 2011 Philadelphia Grand Jury Report and based on an allegation that he had sexually abused a minor over two decades before that time.
A required canonical (church) investigation of Monsignor Logrip was launched after law enforcement declined to press charges after the investigation that resulted from the 2011 grand jury report. The Archdiocesan Office of Investigations (AOI) undertook that canonical process.
A press release from the Archdiocese describes the role of the AOI:
The AOI is responsible for conducting internal and canonical investigatons following the conclusion of work performed by civil authorities. At the time it investigated Monsignor Logrip the AOI was headed by a former Deputy District Attorney for the City and County of Philadelphia. Currently, the office is led by a former First Assistant District Attorney for the City and County of Philadelphia. The AOI also performs investigations in matters that center on alleged activity that is not illegal in nature, but that may violate The Standards of Ministerial Behavior and Boundaries established by the Archdiocese.
In 2014, this board recommended to the Archbishop that Logrip was suitable for ministry based on an unsubstantiated allegation of sexual abuse of a minor. Archbishop Chaput accepted that recommendation and determined that Logrip was suitable for ministry. Since then, he has served as a Chaplain at Camilla Hall, a retirement home for female religious, and as a weekend assistant at Saint Peter Parish in West Brandywine.
The now 73-year old Logrip has served locally at the following parishes and schools:
- Bishop Kenrick High School (1974-1983)
- Epiphany of Our Lord, Plymouth Meeting (1975-1981)
- Archbishop Carroll High School (1983-1990)
- Saint Francis of Assisi, Norristown (1990-1992)
He has also served at the following locations:
- Saint Ignatius, Yardley (1972-1974)
- Saint Rose of Lima, North Wales (1974-1975)
- Saint Gabriel’s Hall (1981-1983)
- Saint Monica, Philadelphia (1992-1994)
- Mater Dolorosa, Philadelphia (1994-2000)
- Immaculate Conception, Levittown (2000-2007)
- Saints Philip and James, Exton (2007-2008)
- Mother of Divine Grace, Philadelphia (2008-2010)
- Chaplain, Saint Mary Manor (2010-2011)
- Saint Stanislaus, Lansdale (2010-2011)
- Chaplain, Camilla Hall (2014-2019)
- Saint Peter Parish, West Brandywine (2017-2019)