The Hub Conshy is hosting Get DOWN & DERBY, a celebration of the most exciting two minutes in sports, on Saturday, May 6th from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The race starts at 6:34 p.m. The event benefits the Chamounix Equestrian Center’s “Work to Ride” program and Ryerss Home for Aged Equines.
Enjoy a full program of food, drinks and entertainment leading up to race:
– Food: Southern style & BBQ fare
– Bourbon tasting with Rob Peters of the Pennsylvania Liquor – Control Board (30 mins.)
– Open Bar: Beer, Wine, and obligatory Mint Juleps
– Mixology demos by 13th St. Cocktails, featuring 2 specialty drinks
– Peter Giangulio will give a presentation on the history of The Kentucky Derby – with colorful stories and an overview on how to bet on the big race! Peter is the former President of the Pennsylvania Association of Horse Breeders and current Vice President of Ryerss Home for Aged Equines
– Southern Cooking Demo: smoked meats, including large smoker – Oscar’s Catering – Oscar will give continuous 15 min demos with samples of short ribs & other smoked meats
– Cigar Lounge and demos with the Traveling Tobacconist’s Bob and Kyle
– Learn about the Chamounix “Work to Ride” program: their history, mission, success with teaching inner city kids to ride and care for horses, and their national chamption High School Polo team
– Betting on the race with proceeds to benefit Chamounix and Ryerss Home for Aged Equines (to be split with winners)
– Possible prizes for best Hat – maybe best hat made at event and best hat worn by a guest…
– Hat Making with Milicia Shciavo of Milicia in the Hat (all materials provided – 45 mins)
– Prize for “Best Hat”
Please note that Bourbon tasting and hat-making are extra cost. You must have a general admission ticket to add tasting or hat making.
Tickets are $50.00 and are available online.