Judge Sierra Thomas-Street ordered SEPTA today to discontinue planned service cuts to Regional Rail following an emergency hearing in Philadelphia, The Inquirer reported.
A follow-up court session will take place on Thursday. Judge Thomas-Street “will consider whether to make the order permanent and expand it to include reversing cuts already in place,” the article said, noting that SEPTA officials said that the earliest the cuts could be reversed is September 14.
Judge Thomas-Street shot that notion down and ordered that all activities surrounding the cuts must cease, The Inquirer said.
The Regional Rail cuts were previously planned to begin on Tuesday, September 2. The fare hikes expected to take effect on Monday may still be in play.
Friday’s emergency hearing followed a lawsuit filed earlier this week by attorney George Bochetto.
“I think SEPTA has been double and triple talking the citizens of Philadelphia for months now. When the mayor said yesterday that student busing is going to be resumed on Tuesday, SEPTA said, ‘okay, we’ll do it.” Bochetto told NBC10. “What’s really going on here is SEPTA is trying to get even more money out of Harrisburg than they need to function.”
SEPTA issued the following statement to 6ABC:
SEPTA conducted a full equity analysis in accordance with all applicable regulations before proposing the plan for service cuts and fare increases to address our structural budget deficit. There has also been an extensive public process and education campaign surrounding the proposal, along with a series of public hearings that were overseen by an independent examiner. As we have said consistently, SEPTA did not want to take these steps. However, service cuts and fare increases are a necessary part of a larger plan to balance the budget. SEPTA is committed to continuing to work with Governor Shapiro and lawmakers on a transit funding solution.
“We will do our best to try to comply 100% with what the judge has asked us to do,” SEPTA’s General Manager Scott Sauer said. “Be patient with us. It’s likely to be very confusing to start next week.”