Conshohocken United Methodist Church celebrated its 175th anniversary this past weekend. The church was established in 1848 and held its first meeting under a tree at the corner of Marble and Forrest streets (across from the Washington Fire Company today).
Before the congregation was able to build its first church, the group met at the Temperance Building at West 3rd Avenue and Forrest Street and then the old Presbyterian Church, which was located where Marshall Lee Towers on West 3rd Avenue currently sits.
In 1856, the church bought property for its first home on the northwest corner of West Elm and Fayette streets. The Civil War and other factors delayed the construction, which led to the church not being dedicated until 1867.
By the turn-of-the-century, the church needed a larger building and property was purchased at the corner of West 6th Avenue and Fayette Street. The church was dedicated on January 19, 1908 and has remained the the congregants home ever since.
Below is a more complete history of the church.